Friday, August 15, 2008

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X


I love to read, and those who know me well know this about me. As a child I was always an avid reader and now that I am a Mom and a teacher I try and pass on my love of reading to my son and my students. When I came across this opportunity to read and review this book, The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson, I knew I wanted to to do this!! The preliminary info about this book hooked me, as it is geared toward boys. Boys tend to lose interest in reading as they reach 3-4 grade and this book is sure to lure some of them back!!!

I read the entire book the first weekend after I received it in the mail (only 272 pages). I enjoyed it so much that I decided to read this book to my 7 year old son as part of our bedtime routine each night (I know some of you are asking why I would read a book about aliens to a 7 year old as a bedtime story....you know your child, so guage if you think it might casue nightmares...it didn't for mine) . Each chapter in the book is about 3-4 pages long so we started out reading 1 or 2 chapters a night and by the 3rd night, my son was hooked and begging me to read more!! I think the length of the chapters will be a good selling point for struggling readers. They will read aq chapter or two and feel like they are making real progress in this novel.

The best part of this book is not the chapter size, it is the story. It is about a young boy who has superpowers..the powers to make figments of his imagination real, as well as manipulate himself into time, places and things. And he uses these powers for good...to hunt aliens....who live here on among the human race. My son loved the fast pace of the story and the detail Patterson uses to describe these aliens and Daniel's adventures. I think boys will relate to Daniel because they often see themselves as superheroes, as protectors and adventurers. There is just enough grossness in the battles scenes between Daniel and these aliens to draw these boys in and keep them hooked throughout the entire story. By the end my son and I were cheering out loud, wanting Daniel to triumph over evil and save the world.

If you like a good alien story, or have a boy who is losing interest in reading...check out The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson. There are enough twists and turns, with a little "on the edge of your seat" excitement thrown in to rival any video game or thrill ride.

1 comment:

Caroline Henley said...

Hi! James saw your review of DanX and thanks you for writing! Is it okay if we here at Little, Brown use your below quote in sales material for upcoming titles? We'd only print your first name and last initial. Let me know, and thanks so much! (No need to publish this comment...)

“I enjoyed it so much that I decided to read this book to my 7 year old son as part of our bedtime routine each night. By the third night, my son was hooked and begging me to read more!! There is just enough grossness in the battles scenes between Daniel and these aliens to draw these boys in and keep them hooked throughout the entire story. By the end my son and I were cheering out loud, wanting Daniel to triumph over evil and save the world.”

Caroline
caroline.henley@hbgusa.com